3 Simple Steps To Create A Vision Board For The Life You’ve Always Wanted
January 8th, 2021 at 6:41 am
What Is A Vision Board?
A vision board, also known as a dream board, is a collage of pictures and words that best represent your dreams and goals. It is a visualisation tool that helps you clarify, centre, and focus on what solidly matters to you. A common misconception of the vision board is that it works like a genie, whereby you will magically achieve whatever you have on your board. Rather, it works as a reminder of all the actions you should take in order for you to reach your goals.
Why Is It Effective?
The most effective way to achieve your goals is to keep them foremost in your mind – this way, you’re always aware of them, and it will have you unconsciously optimising your actions to move closer to them. This is where a vision board comes in, to prompt you to visualise your ideal life on a daily basis.
Visualization works! Not in the “hocus-pocus” kind of way, but by activating the subconscious part of your brain and programming it to become more aware. It allows you to notice the available opportunities and resources that you may have previously failed to.
This article proves the power of visualisation and how it has brought success to many Olympic athletes. You can also watch this video of Jim Carrey talking to Oprah Winfrey about him visualising success and then gaining it.
Create Your Own Vision Board
Now that we’ve covered the basics of this powerful tool, here comes the fun part – creating your own vision board!
- Develop a list of your goals and dreams. Ask yourself questions like:
- What do you want more of in your life – love, money, happiness, health?
- What job or promotion do you want?
- What kind of people do you want around you?
- What type of partner do you want to attract into your life?
- What habits do you want to incorporate into your daily life?
- Where do you want to live?
- What material things do you want to own – a new car, laptop, phone?Note: The key here is to be specific. If you’d like a new car, note down the model of the car and the colour that you want.
- Find pictures from the internet, magazines, photographs – anything that inspires you, including affirmations, inspirational words and motivational quotes. You may also want to consider adding photos of yourself and your loved ones smiling and being happy. This will have your brain associating the things that you want with the things you already have, generating good feelings.
- After you’ve collected all the materials you’d like to add to your board, you can either follow the traditional method of pasting it on a board, or just create a collage online and set is as your wallpaper! The point is to make sure that it is placed somewhere you can see every day.
To quote Oprah Winfrey, “If you can see it and believe it, it is a lot easier to achieve it”. A vision board will help, but it is not enough to make your dreams come true – you need to take the right actions to create the reality that you want to live in.
You May Also Like