Licensed hair stylist, Zach of Zig Zach KL, shares how scalp care is key to healthy hair.
Have you noticed more hair on the floor that can’t be blamed on the cat? This time you’re the one shedding and it may be related to stress. Yup, another pandemic side effect caused by the stress and anxiety we’ve had to endure these past few months. How do we get to the root of this problem? Literally – by taking care of our scalp.
Scalp care is crucial to hair care. You can’t have healthy hair without having a healthy, clean scalp. But what we tend to forget when we’re scrubbing our scalps is that it is skin, and should be treated as well as we take care of our face. When your scalp is strong and healthy, it will be able to retain more hair. With the uncertainty we’ve been facing causing hair loss in many, we asked Zach how we can start giving our scalps the attention it deserves.
- Stop using hot water! That doesn’t mean you have to give up the comfort of a hot shower, simply make the water warmer when it comes to your hair – hot water strips it of moisture and essential oils.
- If you can, use cold water instead to seal the moisture in your hair. This will hydrate your scalp and prevent dirt from entering it by closing the pores. You’ll also get a good energy boost!
- Check your shampoo labels – believe it or not, some contain harmful chemicals. Avoid sulphates, chemical fragrances and Parabens as they cause hair loss.
- Oily hair needs to be washed daily to keep the scalp clean and healthy. When your scalp is too oily, it can form a fungus that will leave it feeling itchy and flaky.
- For those who dye their own hair, make sure the colour doesn’t contain ammonia, peroxide or paraphenylenediamine (PPD). Most use a combination of these, which are harmful to your hair and scalp.
- Internally, you can start consuming vitamin A or multivitamins, but do consult your doctor first. Vitamin A is known for increasing hair growth and keeping your scalp healthy.
Get more advice from Zach here and follow him on Instagram for the latest looks.