Social media is a place for people to share their lives, so everytime you open an app, you’re being greeted by flawless appearances and fantastic accomplishments. Although more and more people are slowly beginning to open up about their insecurities and failures, our timelines are still mainly filled with lives that have been polished to a social media shine.
Malaysians spend around 3.01 hours a day on social media, adding up to almost an entire day a week. With everyone’s highlight reels being played for that long, it’s definitely going to take a toll on your mental health. You may find yourself feeling unaccomplished or unattractive as you compare your behind-the-scenes to what can be seen. When social media starts to make you feel bad, you need a physical reminder of what matters most in your life.
Think of it as your very own ‘For You Page’ (FYP) – write down your accomplishments, throw in your best selfies, paste some inspiring quotes, list down your values and goals, find pictures that best represent your dreams. You can do this on your computer using Microsoft Word / Google Docs, Microsoft PowerPoint / Google Slides or Adobe Illustrator / Adobe Photoshop, but if you prefer to physically make a list and collage, you can do so in your journal, a scrapbook or on a board.
These visualisation tools can help boost your self-esteem, as well as provide you with clarity, direction and motivation. Sometimes on social media, it is easy to lose sight of what really matters to us because we get caught up in someone else’s path or societal expectations – having a physical reminder will get us back on track to leading a happy, fulfilling life!
What Is A Vision Board?
A vision board, also known as a dream board, is a collage of pictures and words that best represent your dreams and goals. It is a visualisation tool that helps you clarify, centre, and focus on what solidly matters to you. A common misconception of the vision board is that it works like a genie, whereby you will magically achieve whatever you have on your board. Rather, it works as a reminder of all the actions you should take in order for you to reach your goals.
Why Is It Effective?
The most effective way to achieve your goals is to keep them foremost in your mind – this way, you’re always aware of them, and it will have you unconsciously optimising your actions to move closer to them. This is where a vision board comes in, to prompt you to visualise your ideal life on a daily basis.
Visualization works! Not in the “hocus-pocus” kind of way, but by activating the subconscious part of your brain and programming it to become more aware. It allows you to notice the available opportunities and resources that you may have previously failed to.
This article proves the power of visualisation and how it has brought success to many Olympic athletes. You can also watch this video of Jim Carrey talking to Oprah Winfrey about him visualising success and then gaining it.
Create Your Own Vision Board
Now that we’ve covered the basics of this powerful tool, here comes the fun part – creating your own vision board!
- Develop a list of your goals and dreams. Ask yourself questions like:
- What do you want more of in your life – love, money, happiness, health?
- What job or promotion do you want?
- What kind of people do you want around you?
- What type of partner do you want to attract into your life?
- What habits do you want to incorporate into your daily life?
- Where do you want to live?
- What material things do you want to own – a new car, laptop, phone?Note: The key here is to be specific. If you’d like a new car, note down the model of the car and the colour that you want.
- Find pictures from the internet, magazines, photographs – anything that inspires you, including affirmations, inspirational words and motivational quotes. You may also want to consider adding photos of yourself and your loved ones smiling and being happy. This will have your brain associating the things that you want with the things you already have, generating good feelings.
- After you’ve collected all the materials you’d like to add to your board, you can either follow the traditional method of pasting it on a board, or just create a collage online and set is as your wallpaper! The point is to make sure that it is placed somewhere you can see every day.
To quote Oprah Winfrey, “If you can see it and believe it, it is a lot easier to achieve it”. A vision board will help, but it is not enough to make your dreams come true – you need to take the right actions to create the reality that you want to live in.